UPDATE: Costa Rican Champions Dealt Hefty Fine

Make sure you check out my initial thoughts on the fine before reading this update.


On November 2nd a judge in Costa Rica issued an injunction for the audit that the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (CCSS) did to Club Sport Herediano for not paying a certain payroll tax on player salaries.  Herediano needed to report player salaries monthly starting December. Even though there’s an injunction to the audit assessment, the cost from the audit will increase as its interest rate accrues more money per day. In order to play in the Clausura next season Herediano needed to put up 30% of the fine by January 7th of 2018, and then schedule their payments for the remaining 70%. Before the court action Herediano needed to pay up front 204,300,000 Colones (~$350k). The injunction proposes an extension of the deadline to create the schedule of play for the Apertura 2018/19 season, but it will also raise the amount that covers 30% of the fine. Realistically the CCSS won’t agree to these terms.


Before giving my thoughts I should probably disclose that I am a supporter of Liga Deportiva Alajuelense, one of Herediano’s rivals. Even though Alajuelense’s rival is Deportivo Saprissa, Herediano is gaining steam due to their recent business in the transfer market. There is an unwritten rule in Costa Rican soccer, Saprissa cannot sign or have a loaned player from Alajuelense, and vice-versa; however, Herediano has been bucking that trend as of late.


Even as a rival fan I cannot wish bad things upon Herediano. If the CCSS do not agree to reformat Herediano’s fine, and Herediano are unable to pay the fine on time, their sporting license will be revoked, and they will not be able to participate in any professional competition in Costa Rica or FIFA competitions like CONCACAF League or Champions League. The effects of this could devastate the culture of Costa Rican soccer. It would be bad for the league not to have the rivalry between Herediano and Alajuelense or Saprissa and Herediano.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.